Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Book Review for Life in the Shadow of the Swastika by Frieda E. Roos-Van Hessen

A couple months ago, my grandmother, my mom and I went to our church to hear Miss Frieda speak. She is one remarkable woman! At age 92, she still travels around the US testifying about how God helped her escape from the Nazis- not once, not twice, but nine times. I picked up her book, Life in the Shadow of the Swastika, when I went to hear her speak.
            Before the war, Frieda was a world famous opera singer. She was nominated as one of the top eight best singers in the world. She had a big, loving family that shared the gift of music, and a handsome young Gentile boyfriend (to her parent’s abhorrence). The only problem was that she was Jewish. Hence, her successful career came to a tragic end when the war began. So did her relationship with her boyfriend, Kees. He, like many others, allowed himself to be brainwashed by Hitler’s message of fascism. Circumstances only turned even sourer for Frieda after that. Her family was scattered into hiding, and all of them (except for her brother Bernard) were eventually executed or died in concentration camps. But by the grace of God, Frieda escaped from the clutches of the Nazis.
            One thing that I found fascinating about Frieda’s story was when she was on the road home from Hilversum, and she fell and broke several ribs. A man came up, helped her up, and calmed her (she was still very shaken from her encounter with the Gestapo). Frieda referred to him as a “good Samaritan,” but I believe that God had sent an angel to her rescue. He is so good- His timing is amazing!
            Life in the Shadow of the Swastika is a captivating story of hope, courage, and forgiveness, and I truly enjoyed it. It’s a refreshing change from books like The Diary of Anne Frank, because God did not allow Frieda to be handed over to the Germans but survive. She did not know Him at the time, but still felt Him working in her life. Later, she came to a saving knowledge of Him and to this day, gives Him praise for her survival. I hope and pray that many souls will be touched by her story for many years to come.  

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love love love to receive feedback from my readers! Please feel free to comment on any post with your thoughts.

P.S.- Gobs and Gobs of Books is an award-free blog, and as honored as I am to receive awards from awesome people like you, please know that if you nominate this blog I will not pass on the award. Thanks anyway!