Friday, April 6, 2012

Possession by Elana Johnson

Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Published: June 7, 2011
Pages: 416
Rating: 3 stars
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play. [Book description from Amazon]
~My review~
I had mixed feelings about Possession. Don’t get me wrong- it was good, but it just wasn’t *great.* There were parts when I was like, “Oh yeah, baby! This is fantabulous!” and then there were those times when I was like, “Meh. That could have been left out or changed.” In other words, the way I feel about this book is kind of like Jag: bi-polar.
That’s another story: what was with Jag? One minute he was all hot and dark and sexy, and the next he’s crying on the floor. Anyways. I don’t want to give too much away, but Jag’s character just kind of confused me and frustrated me at the same time. I mean, is he a hot rebel or is he a weanie? One or the other, please.
But what am I doing all this complaining for?! Possession really was a good read. It reminded me a lot of Matched by Ally Condie as well as Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, which is one of my recent favorites (Perry!! Eeee!). The ending was unexpected, and the action in between was fantastic. The romance was worthy of 5 stars (that is, when Jag wasn’t crying his eyes out on Vi’s shoulder) and not to be shallow, but the cover is gorgeous. All white and glittery with the butterfly trapped in a single ice cube. Very symbolic and beautiful at the same time. *nod nod* Though the storyline has it’s pathetic moments (the author didn’t have me completely convinced at some points) and my interest seemed to rollercoaster from beginning to end, it wasn’t considerably all that bad. In fact, it was pretty good. Some minor qualms, but compared to some young adult books out there nowadays *coughTwilightcough* Possession is a keeper.
Quick Content Review:
Language: Mild- Heavy (not too bad, but Vi does have a mouth on her)
Violence: Minor- Mild (not anything too bad that sticks out, as far as I can remember)
Sexual: Minor (A kiss or two; Vi and Jag are put in the same prison cell for a few days, but nothing happens)
Can't wait for the sequel, Surrender! Again, a gorgeous cover for this one as well.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love love love to receive feedback from my readers! Please feel free to comment on any post with your thoughts.

P.S.- Gobs and Gobs of Books is an award-free blog, and as honored as I am to receive awards from awesome people like you, please know that if you nominate this blog I will not pass on the award. Thanks anyway!