Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Top Ten Popular Books I’ve Never Read That Everyone Else is Crazy About

Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday, dear readers! This meme is hosted by our awesome blogger friends over at The Broke and the Bookish.
This week’s topic is “Pick Your Own Topic” (yay!) so I’m going to choose…
Top Ten Popular Books I’ve Never Read That Everyone Else is Crazy About! (Think I should shorten the title a bit? Nah…)
So. Here goes.
1) Twilight. I don’t care if I’m the last person on earth that hasn’t read this series. It ain’t gonna happen. (Though, since I’ve never read it, I can’t really say it’s as some people say it is, but I think I’ll just be safe rather than sorry and take their word for it.)
2) Mortal Instruments series. Now this one I want to read. I just haven’t gotten around to it. But I probably should sometime in the near future, since I hear they’re making a movie… *grin*
3) The Iron Fey series. Same with this one. What? No, no, I didn’t mean that they’re making of movie of this one too. I meant that I want to read this one also, but I just haven’t yet. *makes mental note to pick up Iron Fey series at next library visit*
4) Vampire Academy series. Now this one, on the other hand, I have no intention of reading. Just because I’m not that into vampires. Or paranormal. I prefer my hot fictional guys NOT biting people like teething toddlers. But that’s just me.
5) The Lorien Legacies. AKA I Am Number Four, The Power of Six, etc. I want to read them. Just haven’t yet. I really really really want to see the movie (mainly cause the guy who’s in it seems kind of cute) but I think I should read the books first. So maybe I’ll be motivated to read them if I “reward” myself by watching the movie after. Yeah. I’ll do that. *flips on TV, goes ahead and watches movie despite ambitious self-challenges*
6) The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Well, I kinda want to read this one, but I just don’t think I’d like all the questionable content in it. Pooh. The movie looks fantastic, though. Yeah, the movie which I probably won’t be allowed to go see because of all the questionable content. Gah.
7) Harry Potter. Yeah, I’m one of those people who have some qualms about this series. No, I haven’t read it. Yes, I know that’s hard to believe. Yes, I constantly feel like the last person on the planet who hasn’t read Harry Potter. But when did it get put on the classics-everyone-must-read list next to Charlotte’s Web, anyway?    
8) The Lord of the Ring Trilogy. This one I’ve started, so it doesn’t actually count…but I can’t say I’ve read the trilogy till I put down the last book, so I’m still pushing through. J
9) A Wrinkle in Time (series). This is more of a children’s series. I never read it, though, and I’m not sure why. I tried. I just couldn’t get into it. *shrug*
10) The Inheritance (series). I think that I never got around to reading this series because I was (and still aren’t) very attracted to fantasy. So it takes more of an effort for me to pick up books like these. I hear they’re good, so I need to try and read them soon!
That’s it! Have you read any of these titles? Which ones are amazing and which ones...not so much?
What’s your Top Ten today? Let me know in the comments!

12 comments :

  1. I also want to read the Iron Fey series, but I just haven't gotten to it. And I totally agree with you on the Lord of the Rings. They are hard to get through, very wordy. I love the movies, though!

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of these books, I've read Twilight, The Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy, Harry Potter, and the Wrinkle in Time series. I haven't read the others either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Perks of A Wallflower. I don't remember it having any questionable content though.

    And ohhh Harry Potter is wonderful, the world is fantastic and there's so much to be learned lesson wise and the characters are very deeply developed.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading the mortal instruments series right now. I'm on the second book. i like them a lot so far. I felt like I was missing out b/c it seemed like everyone else was reading them! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Twilight, but it's not for all people. I also love the mortal instruments series, you should definitely check them out. I haven't read the Iron Fey series, I just haven't really gotten into anything that is only about fairies. The Wrinkle in Time series was one I read over and over as a kid. Vampire Academy, well, I have trouble reading other vampire books, I like my certain vampire stories: Anne Rice, Buffy, Sookie Stackhouse, and Twilight, and don't know that I'll like the others. Harry Potter, I didn't want to read them at first either, I'm not much of a fantasy reader, but I picked up the first, and was hooked! I Am Number Four was a good book, but I haven't had time to go on in that series yet (the movie was only okay). I listened to the first two Eragon books on audio, but haven't been able to get back in, seeing as how long it was between the 2nd and 3rd one coming out. And finally, The Lord of the Rings. I liked the movies, so decided to try to read The Hobbit first. I don't know if it was the the little preface thing was boring or what, but I couldn't get past that. So I will probably just go with the movies on those. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Iron Fey series is amazing, so I'd definitely recommend it to you. And I'm in the process of reading TMI and VA, but so far they're pretty good. (:

    Top Ten: Favorite Declarations of Love in YA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read the Iron Fey series. The Mortal Instruments is a really good series. And I really enjoy it. The Vampire Academy series...well...I love that series, but if you're holding back from reading it because you don't want your hot guys biting into people then I think you should check it out. I'd also give a vote for you reading Harry Potter. I wasn't for it at first either. But it won me over in the end. And finally for me, The Lord of the Ring series a classic must read.

    Check out my TTT.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perks of Being a Wallflower is a great book and the questionable content that you mention isn't what the book is about it's just kind of there in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy- We'll have to share with each other once we've read the Iron Fey series! I'm glad you like the LotR movies...I plan on watching the movies after I read each book in the trilogy, so I'll have something to look forward to when I finish each book. =) Thanks for stopping by!

    Katie- How'd you like Mortal Instruments and Vampire Academy? I've heard mixed things about VA, but I still might consider reading it if you liked it. =)

    April- Hmmm...maybe I was wrong about the questionable content. Thanks for stopping by!

    Emily- I know what you mean...I feel like I'm the last person who hasn't read them yet. I need to fix that. =)

    Lisa- Thanks for stopping by! I think you should try the Lord of the Rings trilogy again- it's really good, but you have to kind of skim over the slow parts or it'll really bore you to tears. =)

    Tabitha- Thanks for the recommendation!

    Sandy- Thanks for stopping by! Maybe I'll give VA a try. If you liked it, so should I!

    lillylilac- Ok, thanks! Maybe I'll try it now. I wasn't sure how bad it was, but now that I'm hearing it's minor stuff, I really want to read it. I can't wait to see the movie. Have you seen the trailer for it? It looks fantastic. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of these either. So we will be the last two people on the planet in the dark :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please read the Harry Potter series, you will not regret it! I'm currently reading the second book to The Mortal Instruments and the first to The Lord of the Rings. I really enjoyed reading your Top 10 :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angela- Hahaha that makes me feel better! =)

    Nicole- Thanks for stopping by! I hope you like The Fellowship of the Ring. I just finished it and though it was slow, when I was done I realized that I really enjoyed it. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love to receive feedback from my readers! Please feel free to comment on any post with your thoughts.

P.S.- Gobs and Gobs of Books is an award-free blog, and as honored as I am to receive awards from awesome people like you, please know that if you nominate this blog I will not pass on the award. Thanks anyway!