Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Top Ten Books That Make Me Think

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
It’s Tuesday again (I know what you’re thinking- “Yeah, Shelby, it comes around about once a week”)! But Tuesdays make me excited because I love list. I really really love lists. I’m a list kind of girl. I make lists of reasons I love list. Ok, so maybe not literally, but I’m pretty obsessed. Don’t judge.

Today’s a freebie topic, so I decided to talk about books that make me think. Not the kind that hurt your head (*coughpsychologytextbookcough*) but the kind that force you to ponder the words’ true meaning, and how they relate to you and the world. Books like that kind of stick with you…for life. So they definitely deserve their time in the spotlight.

1) The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith. Kind of makes me wonder about that kind of love.  
2) The Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne. Sadness, regret, and the recluse that was the author.
3) The Flames of Rome by Paul L. Maier. Because it’s the true account of the early church and how they suffered for the faith. Challenges me to think of my faith the way they thought of theirs.
4) The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. Forces me to see the suffering of Jews during that time. And how the whole world suffered because of power hungry men.
5) The Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan. Such a beautiful story written in such plain words of the Christian’s walk with Christ. Makes me ponder the burden of sin and the relief that’s called salvation.
6) The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson. A raw, powerful (and true) story of how Christ’s love can pull us from the deepest depths of sin.
7) The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I think of the cruel barriers society place between people. And how much they hurt.
8) A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. Makes me think of the definition of love, and what it truly is.
9) Incarceron by Catherine Fisher. Just plain makes you think. You can’t read this book without thinking and wondering at the awesomeness of it.
10) A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I think about one thing: sacrifice. (And how much I don’t want to die by guillotine.)  
What’s your Top Ten? As always, leave a link or just comment and let me know!

2 comments :

  1. I just finished The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight today!!! It definitely makes you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a book that will make you think- Change of Heart by Jodin Picoult!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love to receive feedback from my readers! Please feel free to comment on any post with your thoughts.

P.S.- Gobs and Gobs of Books is an award-free blog, and as honored as I am to receive awards from awesome people like you, please know that if you nominate this blog I will not pass on the award. Thanks anyway!