Thursday, April 11, 2013

Review: Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Published: January 8th, 2013 (HarperCollins)
Pages: 341
Rating: 5/5
It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.
[Description from Goodreads]
I’m going to be shallow and state that I *love* the cover of this book. Frame-it-and-hang-it-on-the-wall-of-my-bedroom kind of love. Perry is so…gahhhh he’s just so hot. There, I said it. Glad I got that out of my system.
Rossi is some sort of meanie that just wants to ruin our lives. I mean, why give us that cover, and then severely tone down the romance? It’s bookworm torture, I tell you! (And yes, the romance was kind of toned down compared to what it was in Under the Never Sky. Did it bother me a little? Yes. Did it make the story itself better? Yes.) The reason for it was because Perry and Aria were separated for nearly half (if not more) of the book. Thus less romance and more angst and worry and “What if he/she doesn’t love me anymore” kind of thoughts. But like I said, I feel it was good for the story structurally and whatnot, so I had to get over it, as will you. *shrugs*
Aria on the cover
of the 1st book,
Perry on the cover
of the 2nd,
who will be on the
3rd cover?
Perry is now Blood Lord of the Tides, and he’s nearly crushed by the responsibility. His people aren’t happy with him, and some even reject him as they did Aria. He’s got lives protect, but this is more than he’s ever handled. I liked Rossi’s emphasis on Perry’s worry over his new position- weakening strong characters make them stronger. Aria is suffering from the Tides’ rejection, too, as well as desperately trying to save back at the Pods, which are slowly deteriorating due to the Aether storms. We’re introduced to Liv, Perry’s sister and Roar’s lover. I’ll admit I didn’t like her at first (can’t pinpoint why) but she grew on me (probably due to a certain heart-pounding event that I won’t detail here). And Roar…oh my word, sometimes I like him even more than Perry. And that’s saying a lot. Rossi gives us a glimpse of his soft, vulnerable, hurt side, which I kind of loved. I liked that Aria got to spend a lot of time with Roar, because it’s so sweet to see them interact, almost like brother and sister.
I absolutely loved this installment in the trilogy- maybe not as much as the first book, but still. I was swept away in the writing and the action and the romance (the little that there was) and am so excited for the third and last book. I feel like every one of the characters grew in some way through the trials they faced in this book. Through the Ever Night portrayed each character’s own unique mission, but in the next book, they’ll all have one ultimate mission: to find the Still Blue. Together.
Quick Content Review: *may contain spoilers*
Language: Mild
Violence: Heavy
Sexual: Mild

1 comment :

  1. (What a nice comment above ^^) haha, really captures how great Perry is ;)

    Great review, this is one of my favorites!! I love Perry and Roar. I read UTNS and Through the Ever Night one right after another and cannot wait for the next one! I agree, I understand why there was less romance but wanted more. I really liked Liv (Have you read Roar and Liv? ) Their story breaks my heart!

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete

I love love love to receive feedback from my readers! Please feel free to comment on any post with your thoughts.

P.S.- Gobs and Gobs of Books is an award-free blog, and as honored as I am to receive awards from awesome people like you, please know that if you nominate this blog I will not pass on the award. Thanks anyway!